Chicago Access Network Television (CAN TV) seeks a full-time General Manager whose role ideally would encompass the collective attributes of managers’ manager, jack-of-all-trades, and MacGyver-like creative thought process. This position is a senior staff position which will report directly to the Executive Director and collaborate closely with the Associate Executive Director towards identifying issues, recommending solutions, strategizing, and fulfilling CAN TV’s short-term and long-term goals on both macro and micro levels.
Job duties and responsibilities will emphasize cohesive inter-departmental day-to-day operations; the development, implementation, coordination, tracking of progress, and completion of strategic intramural assignments and projects pre-approved by the Executive Director; and entail the collaborative monitoring and oversight of programming and technology activities for which each respective department manager retains primary responsibility.
About CAN TV
- CAN TV is an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit established over three decades ago as the public’s space on cable television free of commercialism, content filters, and undue government censorship.
- On our five local channels you can view and hear the diversity of people and ideas that reflect Chicago, including perspectives often excluded from mainstream media. A city where residents can freely share their passions and talents with one another is a city that works better. For everyone.
- CAN TV operates from a modern multi-use facility located at 1309 S. Wood St. in the Illinois Medical District.
- Provide day-to-day direct oversight of department managers and coordination of department activities
- Devise and recommend strategies to ensure innovative thinking by department managers
- With department managers, co-develop and execute innovative programming opportunities aligned with CAN TV’s mission, to provide the organization with further development and future growth
- Perform related duties and projects as may be identified and assigned by the Executive Director
- Familiarity with the functions and operations of various types of specialized technical equipment such as: main switcher (e.g. NewTek Tricaster); video switchers; audio mixers; bulkheads; telephone hybrid interfaces; mounted camera systems; overhead cameras; birds-eye cameras; character generation software; lighting control board; prompting software; wireless microphones; full-featured portable television production studio; platforms for automated/integrated playout of all channels (e.g. Skylark media platform); QC workstation; image processors; MATV system; remote location electronic news gathering and backhaul system
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Media/TV/Film Production/Communications, or equivalent
- A minimum of eight years of progressively responsible supervisory experience
- A minimum of five years media/communications/IT experience
- A minimum of five years non-profit management, operations, or human resources experience
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes
- Substantial experience overseeing and developing management-level personnel
- Personal maturity and strong interpersonal skills, combined with the ability to build and sustain synergistic relationships with department managers
- Working knowledge of television studio production
- Customer service acumen
- Ability to perform multiple concurrent responsibilities seamlessly
- Excellent time management practices
- Above-average computer literacy
- Prudent and able to function collaboratively, as well as independently
- Clear understanding of the need for, and the role of public access television
- Flexible and adaptive to changing priorities, yet end-result focused
- Attentive to security of confidential and proprietary information
- Start date is Q1 2018. This position is eligible for an excellent benefits package and compensation commensurate with qualifications. Chicago residency is not required.
- Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attn: General Manager Position
- Chicago Access Network Television
1309 S. Wood St.
Chicago, IL 60608
- No phone calls please. CAN TV is an equal opportunity employer.